Friday, July 18, 2014

sewing for my sister and a quilt back

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

My sister is headed to Guatemala to go to language school in about a month and she is working on building up her wardrobe. As a part of her birthday gift I offered to help her make some skirts for her upcoming trip. Yesterday we had a sewing day and we had much success despite my crazy kids' antics. Nothing like trying to install a zipper to the sound of the Indiana Jones theme song being played on the saxophone in the background. Good times!
I drafted the pattern from the book Flirt Skirts. This is my 5th skirt using the simple A Line pattern from the book and I highly recommend it! The pattern does run a little large, so making a muslin for the first round is a good idea. It only uses 1 1/2 yards of fabric, which isn't bad at all. (Can you tell I have plans to make a few more for me?)
This is not quite a finish, but it's certainly a step in the right direction! I debated buying a backing for my reclaimed stars quilt, but the frugal girl inside of me won out and I pieced it instead. It took me a few days, but I am excited about how it turned out. More importantly, I'm excited to have it up and off the floor so I can walk through my craft room again. It's the little things!
 
Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks for joining me! Have a great weekend!
 

27 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

Love that skirt!! And how fun for your and your sister to spend the day sewing together ;)

Dedra C said...

There is an awesome zipper tutorial on craftsy that is free. I can now install zippers into skirts in about 5 minutes and they look awesome. I highly reccomend that class.

I love your skirt and that quilt back. Awesome job!

beth said...

Yes...the little things make me extra happy too. :) Lovely skirt.

Pack Rat With a Plan said...

She will love Guatemala. We lived in Antigua, Guatemala for 16 years. Lots of good language schools there and lots of history and culture. How nice that you are helping her get ready.

Jade said...

Love that skirt. I know exactly what you mean about trying to sew with crazy kid shenanigans. Hope your sister has a great trip!

Tina Craig said...

Cute skirt! My daughter bought fabric to make 2 skirts for her trip to Tanzania. No zippers for her- elastic waists.

Mari said...

That skirt is very sweet. Lucky sister!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Cute Cute skirt finish! I have on my summer list to make myself some skirts so thanks for sharing the pattern.

Unknown said...

Pretty skirt! and the quilt back came out fantastic too!

Barbara Konkle said...

I really love that skirt! I might need to make myself another. I am way too addicted to skirts!

Jb1 said...

Fun! And it is so nice your sister will have these skirts from you when she is far away. Right now I have been altering some favorite sundresses into skirts to be worn with modest/professional tops for my daughter who is soon going to New Dehli, India, a very hot climate. And I am glad I can send her off with this Mom-care. We did this when she went into the Peace Corps many years ago.... Then I made a quilt with the scraps. 😊

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Pretty skirt! The pieced backing looks brilliant!

Jill said...

Very cute skirt. Love the fabric. A basic A-line skirt is flaterring to most women. A classic.

Rene' said...

Such a cute skirt!!! You're such a sweet sister. Too bad it has a zipper....might try it myself otherwise ;-) Piecing a backing counts as a finish in my book!

CeLynn said...

Nice skirt! Sister sewing time is the best. Love your quilt backing too.

Lorna McMahon said...

Sounds like you had a great day sewing with your sister. The skirt is adorable. And sew is the quilt back! This is going to be perfect for your reclaimed stars quilt... Making it totally reversible!

Susan C. said...

Wow, I had to check out your link because this quilt is a work of art front and back! Well done on the frugal and I do understand the little joys because they do add up you know! :-)

CapitolaQuilter said...

Being frugal is an admiral quality. It's always the little things! Happy Friday, I'm so glad I could link up this week it feels like forever.

Pamela said...

Just love the backing you created. Colors and design are awesome!

Unknown said...

great skirt! and I love the back you made. solid backing is pretty, but I am liking the pieced more and more. Nancy: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

Crystal said...

Sometimes simple is better - I like a simple skirt and it looks comfortable.
Have to say I LOVE the reclaimed star quilt. Gorgeous. Nicely done.

Dominique said...

Love the skirt... makes me want to go back to garment sewing (but frankly, who am I kidding... it is not going to happen anytime soon). Great choice for the back of that quilt. Pieced backs are a bit of a headache, but they are well worth the extra effort. Looks great.

Unknown said...

Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
JobzCornerv

Di~ said...

Love that skirt! Nice!

margaret said...

very nice skirt and what a great way to spend a month, trust she has a lovely time. Quilt backing looks good makes it reversible

Anonymous said...

Cute skirt. And a great birthday gift. What a nice sister you are.

FlourishingPalms said...

I've totally gotten into sewing skirts lately. I've been using the book "The Essential A-Line." Love the fabric picked for the blue one in this post. You're a sewing whiz!